With so many new Internet marketing tactics appearing regularly, options in online marketing can seem endless. That can be problematic when running an Internet marketing campaign with limited resources, because there isn’t time to dabble in everything. Instead, the best Internet marketing tactics have to be chosen, which will provide the best return on investment (ROI).
Internet marketing is a very general term, which encompasses many types of niche marketing, all which can be used effectively online. The following are examples of types of Internet marketing:
1. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) – Natural Search Engine Rankings through link-building, keyword density, and more.
2. Search Engine Marketing (SEM) – A specialty form of online advertising, where ads are purchased on search engine results pages (SERPs) for certain keywords.
3. Email Marketing – Sending ezines, newsletters, or other email correspondence, with a marketing message, special offer, or inciting a certain action.
4. Online Advertising – Purchasing banner ads, text links, sponsorships, or other forms of paid advertising online.
5. Online PR – Using press releases, blogs, and other tools to convey company news and build an image online.
6. Affiliate Marketing – Bringing in third parties to sell for the company, for a share of each sale.
7. Viral Marketing – Using tools such as viral videos, file sharing, or tell-a-friend links to take advantage of word-of-mouth marketing on the Web.
To choose the most effective Internet marketing tactics for a website or online business, follow these five steps:
1. Choose an industry or niche that has a real demand or need to be satisfied.
2. Identify members of the target market, what their needs are, and how you’ll fill them.
3. Figure out what has the most influence over members of that target market.
4. Look at what the competition is doing, and see how you can do it better.
5. Decide on your Internet marketing budget, and build an Internet marketing plan around it.
While designing your Internet marketing plan, it can help to list every Internet marketing tactic within your budget that comes to mind, as long as it can reach the target market. That list can then be narrowed down by running each Internet marketing tactic through this checklist to find the best Internet marketing tactics for your needs:
__ The Internet marketing tactic has the potential to reach the target market.
__ The Internet marketing tactic has the potential to influence the target market.
__ This general tactic has been used successfully to reach this target market’s demographic group (in this industry or a complementary one) in the past.
__ The Internet marketing tactic will help to differentiate the business from competitors.
__ The Internet marketing tactic can be implemented effectively without exceeding the marketing budget.